- Start at the beginning. Are you using the correct machine? When choosing a copier you don’t want to look at just the price of the machine itself. If you go for the cheapest option, that may cost you more money in the long run when it comes to supplies and repairs. Choose a machine that best fits your needs.
- Where is the machine being stored? If the area is too hot or humid it can potentially damage your copier and can cause you to have more service issues. Keeping your machine in a climate controlled room will go a long way toward preventing unnecessary down time.
- Use the right supplies. It may seem cost effective at the time to purchase inexpensive paper and generic toner you may find yourself with more problems down the line that will be costly to repair. Low quality paper can cause more frequent paper jams and you may see an increase in poor images. Your generic toner may be compatible with the machine at all or can lead to it’s on host of service issues.
- Where are you storing your supplies? Keep everything close to the machine if possible in order to keep track of what you do and do not have. If possible, try to keep a full set of spare supplies on hand. You don’t want to run out of black toner when all you have on hand is three cartridges of cyan.
- Rotate your supplies. Toner does not have an expiration date printed out on the box but it DOES lose its effectiveness the longer you store it. You should always keep one spare of every color of toner you use. Allow the one in the machine to COMPLETELY run out before you replace it. After using your spare, give us a call so that we can send you a replacement.
- Paper is important. The type of paper you use does make a difference you should also be aware of the condition of your paper. DON’T use paper that is wet, damaged or warped. Paper that sits too long in storage should be checked for any defects before being placed in the machine.
- Check your settings: Are you using the correct tray? Do you need color? Do you need single sided to double sided copies? Be sure to choose the correct settings before having to go through the frustration of having to start all over again.
- Making copies? Check your original documents. Remove any tape, sticky notes, staples or paper clips and make sure that your documents do not have any fresh liquid paper or ink. These can cause paper jams, damaged parts or distorted imaging that will require an experienced technician to repair.
- Is your machine clean? Dust and other contaminates can cause serious damage over time. If your copier accumulates too much debris then it should be moved to a new environment. If this is not possible then the best thing you can do is schedule a routine cleaning to keep the machine working like it is supposed to.
- Be gentle and talk sweetly to your machine. Being a friendly user is tough when your machine isn’t working but your machine has the potential to become permanently damaged if you slam the drawers, slap your hands against it, kick it and throw it out of the window. The best thing you can do is to take a step back and give us a call. We will do our best to walk you through a solution or give you an ETA on your technician.
As always, Capital Office Products is more than happy to answer any questions or concerns you have about your equipment. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 803-407-4321.
Also, don’t forget to check out our Facebook page for more information on your copier and some upcoming useful tips and tricks directly from our experienced team!